November 8, 2013

joe pug + state room + grainy photos


a few weeks ago, madi invited me last minute to see joe pug at the state room in salt lake. she even picked me up, like a good date should.
 
i had listened to joe a little, but it had been years. his songs are like lullaby's. soothing & soft. his  voice sounds like what i imagine listening to your grandpa sing to you on the front porch of a cabin in the woods would sound like.
 
the state room is set up with church pews, stadium style. we sat on the front row and just melted into our bench. it was so relaxing, so refreshingly calm--words i'd never thought i'd attach to a concert.
 
the night, the music, the place--it was so easy to get lost in my own thoughts & feel isolated, accompanied by the blue-grassy voices crooning in the background. i could put the music right in front of me and listen intently to the lyrics. but then i could put the music behind me and see my thoughts, played out on the black carpet in front of me.  the music served as a perfect backdrop for my busy head that night.
 
& these lyrics, yes yes yes:
 
"i've come here to get high,
to do more than just get by,
i've come to test the timber of my heart."

 








 photo kaylasig_zps8b40f84e.jpg

4 comments:

  1. HOW have I never heard of this person!? This is my new favorite thing. He has a perfect sound for fall. I love this too much. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful soul.

    Relaxing concerts like this are honestly the best. I saw Ben Folds a few years ago in Park City when he was with the Utah Symphony Orchestra. We all sat on a grassy hill and just swelled with the music surrounding us. It was so magical. Tested the timber of my heart that night :) Gorgeous post, Kayla!

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic shots, I love your style.

    ReplyDelete