our engagement story.

i have been feeling extra mushy lately & thought i'd share the story of how we got engaged, straight out of my journal.

let me just preface this all by saying, i toootally knew it was coming. jordan had returned from a trip to his wyoming cabin the day before, and we were taking a trip to utah to see friends the day after. i had been putting the pressure on to get that ring on my finger so that i didn’t feel so LAME making wedding plans without an actual fiancée. i was like 97% sure this was the night—which was nice. i painted my fingernails, took a little extra time getting pretty, and (tried) to calm some excitement jitters.
jordan picked me up & i could tell he was excited, i could see it in his face. he looked so  handsome in his grey button up, with his beard neatly trimmed. we got in the car & he instructed me to put on a blindfold so he could surprise me with our activities for the night.
i get carsick really easily, so i requested to go sans blindfold. he laughed at me, and gave me my way. we drove to pf changs, our favorite restaurant, and one frequented during our time dating. an older couple in the lobby told us what an adorable couple we were, we ordered lettuce wraps, we reminisced.
all of the nerves had melted away at that point—we had fallen into our groove. the whole night felt natural and reminded me why i wanted to marry him! we just click, we always have. conversation comes naturally, there are visible sparks between us, as well as a natural admiration for one another’s talents—different as they may be.
we drove to a presbyterian church and climbed up onto the roof to watch the sun set. (another activity we had frequented.) we raced down the slats like a slide, and i mentally prepared myself for a ring to be popped out at the bottom. nope, just a hand to help me down and back into the car.
he then asked gently, with a bit of tremor in his voice, ‘kayla, would you put on the blindfold now?’
after a few turns i lost where we were, and the butterflies started playing around in my stomach, flying up into my throat and catching my breath. we drove in silent anticipation. i felt like i was slowly, slowly climbing to the top of the roller coaster. i was nervous, but couldn’t wait for the drop.
he stopped the car. we got out, and it took me a few moments to place where we were.
we were standing in the starbucks parking lot where, on our first date, we had talked for hours. where we had first clicked. where i had first thought about kissing him. it was abandoned, quiet, filled with bright tension. romantic situations usually make me squirmy, but this was different. it was simple & sweet. perfect for us.
i honestly don’t remember any of the sweet words jordan said to me in those moments, although im sure he spent time preparing them. he called my by my full name, and asked me to marry him as we embraced.  i remember being dumfounded at my ring, (it is stunning!) not saying anything, and then finally exclaiming ‘of course!’ and we both laughed. i laughed because i felt relief that i could finally call him my fiancé, and relief that i had just formally made the most important decision of my life. and i knew it was the right one.



 
 photo kaylasig_zps8b40f84e.jpg

Comments

  1. cutest story! and that ring is seriously stunning! you two are so cute! glad I found your blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your engagement story is adorable! I love that it is simple but memorable. And your ring is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet story. Your ring is quite incredible. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it. P.s I've been stalking your blog for a while now and I've been trying SOHARD to decide who you look like and I finally thing I put my finger on it... Ashley Tisdale! Total compliment too. She's beautiful. You especially look like her in your wedding photo on your about page. Haha anyway. Love the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! thank you so much, alexis. when i was on vacation in disneyland in high school, i was stopped and asked for my autograph because someone thought i was sharpay. i love her, so THANK YOU! you are the sweetest! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Loved it! I was the exact same way, I wanted a ring on my finger! (we had already called the temple before officially engaged) And it is a beautiful ring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah so cute, I love it! You two are the cutest. And I LOVE your ring!

    thelolajames.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I totally knew when my husband was going to propose, too, because I, too, was putting on the pressure for him to put a ring on it. Haha, guess you're right about us having similarities! Wonder what else we both like? Oh wait, I know one. YOUR RING. I love it. Totally gorgeous. Did he pick it out all by himself or were you involved in the process at all? :)

    ashleynicoleholmes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, ashley! i think we are pretty similar :) i actually picked out the ring online years before i even met jordan. when we talked about getting married i said--this is the one i want! & he got it :)

      Delete
  7. You guys are seriously adorable!! And that ring is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I LOVE hearing people's engagement stories and you are such a great writer, it sucked me right in. What a special, lovely time! You and Jordan seem so perfect for each other! Also, I agree that your ring really is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so sweet, my goodness. and your ring?! amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet story! I love how he took the time to bring everything back to your first date! Congrats girl! And that ring is stunning!!!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. your ring>>>> and this story>>>>> i love it:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment