warning: disgusting amounts of picture overload coming your way. also, if it seems like too many of these pictures are of me, it's because they are. he is the photographer in the relationship, and i, consequently, have become the photographed.
here are a few off of our top 20 list.
1. brooklyn. oh, brooklyn. you are such a dream! those quaint little streets, with their red brick and black shutters and big trees, oh they get my giddy. then you're just looking around and bam! there is the manhattan skyline, perfectly framed by the river. and the bridge, so ancient and majestic. the whole brooklyn heights area is so idealistic. also - juliana's pizza is just as good as grimaldi's, but with better service. (in our opinion.)
2. top of the rock is totally worth the price tag, to me - and better than empire state. you get to see the skyline with the esb, not from it. we did this the first night we were there, and were completely enchanted by it. it's one of those things that you can't explain second-hand, you've got to see it yourself. the best was watching jordan's face light up the first time he saw the view.
3. i'm not sure that this makes the "highlight reel" but we did experience an almost-suicide in the subway station. apparently the guy changed his mind after jumping on to the tracks, and made it between trains before getting hit. the entire station shut down (we all got real sticky, real fast without any AC down there) and everyone watched through the car windows as he was coaxed back up, and into handcuffs, by about 30 fireman. what a day.
4. walking the highline is gorgeous, and the chelsea market is, essentially, an indoor version of pike place in seattle. win, win.
5. after dessert one night, our friends were headed over to roosevelt island. since the tram over there was free, we decided to join them for the ride! i was not expecting the picture-perfect views of city streets and the queensboro bridge.
6. jordan spent hours memorizing the subway lines before we left, and so we commuted around without a hitch! (he is seriously the best vacation buddy because i tell him what i want to do - he will do all the research, make all the plans, and then i just get to follow him around.) one morning, in the station, he was approached on several occasions for directions, and you should have seen him! "oh yeah, take the 1 uptown, catch the f train and get off at rector street." like he had been living there for ten years. reasons i love that guy.
7. columbia university was pretty incredible - old college campuses seem to just fascinate us, and we find ourselves saying a lot of, "look at that!" "oh man, i wish i went to school here!" "holy crap, give me the camera." to each other. saint john the devine cathedral was just across the street from campus too - and man, that was gawk-worthy. (it's possible that our excitement levels were heightened this day because of a red eye flight and a few red bulls.)
8. i think jordan's favorite part of the trip was katz delicatessen - think thick pastrami and corned beef and brisket and giant fries and perfect rye bread. it was like, a man's man heaven.
9. shake shack was obviously a highlight. we had one a few blocks from the apartment we stayed at, so we made sure it was our first and last meal in the city. priorities.
10. wicked was incredible - even jordan called it 'phenomenal' and that man is not easy to please when people are singing for entertainment.
11. the 9/11 museum was well done and powerful. it's pretty tough to internalize and ponder - i cried yesterday just recounting some of it over the phone to my mom. they did a fabulous job of memorializing that day.
12. levain bakery cookies are so rich and soft i could die! i couldn't even finish mine - and this is monumental. i can always finish my dessert, but those cookies did me in! ah, they were divine and, dare i say it? the best thing i ate the whole trip. (they barely beat doughnut plant's crem brulee donut. barely.)
13. the central park boats were almost too picture-esque. it was just too pretty to be real, ya know? it felt kind of like a date on the bachelorette. (except instead of making out and talking about feelings the whole time, we were just really hyper and giggly.) jordan serenaded me with what he calls his "pretty version" of the smelly cat song from "friends" the whole time we were on the boat....men. as we walked to the boat house, we happened upon the bethesda fountain and i swear, i almost cried and then fainted. this is where chuck and blair get married! it gave me some serious butterflies. gossip girl fo lyfe.
other great things: washington square park, soho, upper west side walking, dylan's candy bar, staten island ferry, the fact that the weather was 72 and cloudy the entire time, sprinkles cupcake atm's, grand central station, times square, the new york public library, the met rooftop view, nyu campus, subway station performers, (sax players, you have my heart!) and our perfect little apartment on the upper west. seriously guys - exposed brick walls, tons of sunlight, wood floors, great ac, and a big smooshy bed to cuddle up in at the end of every night. :)
i love you, new york city. hopefully we will be apartment hunting on the island next spring - see you soon!