on turning 24.

twenty four years old - twenty. four. !!! i've officially entered "mid-twenties." and maybe i'll say this every birthday until i die, but shouldn't i have my life together by now?? i feel like i'm playing grown up, saying, "i'm 24 years old." i feel as though i'm looking up at who should be my "grown up self," waiting to grow into her shoes.

maybe this is one of those feelings that i need to approach with a "look at how far you've come, not how much farther you have to go," attitude. i'm reminded of a favorite quote:

“i am learning every day to allow the space between where i am and where i want to be to inspire me and not terrify me.

and i try to do that - to be motivated by the work i have to get done on myself, because those are the accomplishments that matter. sure, i'm not done with college and i don't have a baby and there's not an extensive amount of foreign travel under my belt. i still make a lot of the same mistakes that i did when i was 19 and i still feel insecure sometimes.

but really, things have fallen together quite perfectly for me and my life. i am happy. really, i am so happy.

and i've found that it's much easier for me to feel satisfied about where i am when i don't compare my life to anyone else's accomplishments. things work differently and very specifically for every one - and what is perfect for my life is just that, MY life. not someone else's. this mindset helps me be genuinely happy for others and the good things in their life - instead of holding on to a fraction of jealousy.

jordan's aunt wrote me a little tribute on facebook - and the first thing she wrote about me was that i am "graceful and elegant." i was so flattered (although i hardly consider myself either of those things) and that thought placed into my head the idea that maybe i am becoming the woman i want to become a lot faster than i give myself credit for.


i felt consistently overwhelmed with love the whole day -  it almost made me heart hurt, like it might explode right out of me! i was so grateful for the reminder that i am very loved by a lot of choice people.

jordan outdid himself again, which is miraculous considering he's right in the middle of investment banking networking and has been running himself ragged with 18 & 19 hour days the last few weeks.

i came home from work to surprise balloons, 24 krispy kremes for 24 years, (does he know me or what?) and the ukulele i've been begging for for months. as if that weren't enough, he then took me to dinner and watched clueless with me. clueless! and he even said he liked it! (but maybe he was just being nice, i'm not sure.) man, snatching that guy up will be my greatest accomplishment, even if i live to be 1,000. what a great day - and a million thanks for all the birthday wishes on this little blog, on instagram, through text message, etc etc. i have the most wonderful people to call mine.

 photo kaylasig_zps8b40f84e.jpg


Comments

  1. happy 24th! i'm glad everything is turning out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww happy birthday! doughnuts and balloons, what a guy. I totally know what you mean - the age thing just creeps up on you and suddenly you're supposed to be an adult. it's weird. I think you're right, though: we often don't give ourselves enough credit, and we're usually further along in our goals than we might realize. have a good week! xoxo

    - Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. My my husband's birthday is in 2 weeks and he loves Krispy Kream, so I'm going to shamelessly steal Jordan's idea and get my husband a box of donuts as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just replicate the giant pink bow on top of them, okay? :)

      Delete
  4. happy happy birthday! I'm so happy that you had a fabulous day and I think you're hella elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday, pretty girl! you are so great--and I'm glad your day was special1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 24 and turning 25 in January! I don't consider myself in the "mid-twenties" until I hit the 25 mark (so you still have 1 year to go!). Congrats and it seems you had a marvelous day, any day with Krispy Kremes is wonderful! xo

    www.chasing-peonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday! 24 donuts sounds like the absolute best way to celebrate :)

    Little Blue Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy happy birthday! sounds like you had a great one :) & don't worry, i've come to the decision that we aren't ever going to actually have our lives figured out, or that we're supposed to, haha!
    -k
    www.kerryjune.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love so much that you chose clueless for your birthday movie
    xoxo
    e

    the little diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really didn't have any other choice :)

      Delete
  10. You got a ukelele!! That is the best thing I have ever heard. Happiest of birthdays to you! Also I like what you had to say about everyone's lives being perfect for them and how things all work differently for everyone and that's ok. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday! You are just the cutest. I love your giant balloons and your 24 donuts. Crazy haha how will you eat them all??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've been sharing them with anyone and everyone that walks into our apartment. (and jordan and i did a fair amount of damage ourselves.) if you find yourself in provo, come over! i still have a bunch left with your name on them :)

      Delete
  12. How cool are those balloons! A quote i find really powerful is "comparison is the thief of joy". Your comments above about not comparing made me think of that :). Glad I stumbled across your blog, it's a lot of fun. Happy birthday from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment