my ring situation.


here is the ring jordan proposed to me with. isn't she a beaut? i picked it out ages ago, before i even knew jordan existed, on sundance catalog dot com and never looked back. when he opened the box & flashed that ring at me, i was literally speechless. like, i didn't say anything for an awkward amount of time. i mean, obviously the whole point of the night was committing to spend eternity with my best friend - but you guys, that bling. when it catches the sunlight on a bright day, it parades this perfectly golden-white color, and on cloudy days, it's a stormy blue-silver. 

i never wear it to the gym because i can't stand the thought of banging it on the weights, i never shower with it, because it clouds the stone, and i have three spots in our apartment where it is allowed to rest. you can imagine my disdain when i lost it a few months ago. at first i thought i had simply misplaced it, but after a week and a complete overhaul of the apartment, panic started to creep in. even thinking about it now, it kind of feels like someone is pouring black ink all over my heart. you guys, i love that piece of jewelry. 

at first, i wore my tiny gold band with a mini "j" attached to the front as a replacement. then i experimented with a few cheap-ring stack situations. 


finally, last month i broke down and bought a real-life replacement from the same website my original ring came from. (we can't afford to replace the actual ring, although i do gawk at it from time to time on the website. isn't it perfect?) it was like a fresh heartbreak in the form of a manila envelope. i always thought those mini boxes made me happy, but this one was bittersweet. 


although i still am holding on to hope that the ring will manifest itself again, (seriously, i know where i set it down the day i lost it. i don't know how that happens??) i guess there is one silver lining of this situation. well, two. a) although jordan is heartbroken along with me, never once has he acted annoyed or even disappointed that i misplaced the most expensive item he's ever purchased. that right there is a quality individual. and b) i am grateful for the reminder that our relationship doesn't ride on anything physically tangible. i love jordan the same and i sincerely love marriage - even without the bling. although, prayers to find it would still be appreciated. ok great. xo 

Comments

  1. Sending you all the prayers. It really is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a seriously beautiful ring, really hope you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that last part and the volume that it speaks. I still gawk over my ring and it makes me feel so guilty because it doesn't matter what the ring looks like, how big or expensive it is. It's all about the meaning behind the ring. I do hope you find your old one, but I also want to add that I LOVE the replacement. If I wasn't so in love with my current ring, I would definitely get a simple gold one.

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet that your hubby was supportive and loving! all three ring options look amazing :) i hope you find your ring!

    xoxo, kiely

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad about your ring! :( I'm sorry . . . But both of your alternate rings are beautiful, too :)

    I still have my original ring, but a few months ago I saw a gorgeous $15 ring (well it was actually supposedly worth like $220 or something, but it was a "last hour of the show" deal) so I snatched it right up, and now I wear both. I like having different options, but always a ring to show the world I'm definitely taken :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That breaks my heart! :(
    I hope you find it. The new rings are lovely as well.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That serious makes me tear up. I seriously pray that you find it girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness your ring is BEAUTIFUL!!! I am obsessed with it! And losing things is the worst...so I can't imagine losing something so precious. Sending prayers your way xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband lost his ring just a few weeks ago and I got really upset. As usual, he kept his cool and didn't make a fuss. This was a good reminder to me that our love is way more important than a little ring.

    But also, I pray that you find your ring! I am sure yours is worth a lot more than my husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kayla, this is breaking my heart, but i will say that the replacement is very beautiful, but that you haven't found it yet is giving my stomach knots...i can't imagine how you must be feeling. sending prayers up that you can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh! I thought I had lost my ring once and that is such an awful, awful feeling. I pray you find it cuz it sure is beautiful! But I do love the 'replacement' one you got for now. It's quite loverly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your ring is STUNNING. i'm drooling! that would be such a heart break. i do hope it shows up soon. good for you for focusing on the important things though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my heart hurts along side yours! i actually lost mine new years eve and rang in the new year running around like a chicken with it's head cut-off and bawling my eyes out because I couldn't find it. Ended up being in a pocket of a backpack. Random. I'll say a little prayer that yours shows up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! I can't even imagine! Your ring is STUNNING! I hope you find it! I'll cross my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot imagine that feeling of loosing my ring… ugh… but your replacement is beautiful! LOVE love love. You have the classiest taste!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah! I would cry for days!!! both rings are beautiful..... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment