December 1, 2014

scenes from thanksgiving.

we returned to our apartment early this morning, after a flat tire on a pitch black, freezing country road set us back a few hours. it's one of those, "we'll laugh about it in a few weeks" experiences. and although my under eye purples are quite frightening today, the exhaustion really can't touch our perfect week.

everything about this break was just quiet, for lack of a better word. i spent an entire afternoon playing the ukulele by myself in a bedroom. we watched new girl in bed, we went out to eat, and i snuggled up on the leather couches often enough to devour two books. we watched harry potter 3, and it only took 3 tries. i fall asleep real easy.

one afternoon we wandered around the horse stables where my in laws keep their new horse. it's way out past all the subdivisions and strip malls - there is nothing but a huge sky and these soft, rolling hills, painted with grass or wheat. they look like a patchwork quilt framed by this giant sky. i forget, living in utah, what it's like to have no obstructions to the horizon. when you look out, in any direction, it's as if the blue is annihilating everything else. it's so vast, it's dazzling. i talked about the sky way more than is socially acceptable. 

two of the four times i went to the gym, it was completely empty - and in full disclosure, this shouldn't please me as much as it does. isn't there something so exhilarating about being in a public place, alone? it feels like i shouldn't be there, i'm breaking some sort of "fourth wall" in life that says there should always be at least 2 people in a public place. what i wouldn't give to spend a few hours in costco after it closes! (one time, my friends and i played laser tag in an empty warehouse and it stands today as one of the coolest things i've done.)  i talked to myself, danced, sent snap chats of myself dancing, and laughed at myself. out loud. this was really one of the highlights of my vacation.

the best part (aside from the food, obviously) was getting to spend so much uninterrupted, blissful time with my in-laws. they are such grade-a people and being in their home, it feels more and more like my own home every time we visit. and that is something to be grateful for. 












oh, hello there handsome. 
and ps -  you can watch me and jordan make a cameo in this music video at :33. we're provo famous!


12 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! it so nice to be able to do nothing and not feel guilty about it, that is exactly what a vacation should be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laser Tag in the warehouse! best night. i love that you had a good time but mainly i'm thrilled you are 5 minutes away from me again. a week without kayla is not okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing style! It's captivating! Sounds like a perfect weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. provo famous :') you're hilarious! looks like such a fun vacation, and i'm right there with ya sista..being at the gym by yourself is da bomb.

    xoxo, kiely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Thanksgiving break sounds like it was absolutely delightful - and don't be ashamed for enjoying the fact that the gym was empty when you were there. That's like pretty much my favorite time to be there. Also you are way cooler than me because I did not make it to the gym one time this break and also I am fairly certain I gained three pounds, but what is Thanksgiving for anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. can we please hang out? you are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sounds like the perfect thanksgiving break & the pictures of the food look delicious. i'm actually getting hungry just looking at them...!
    -k
    www.kerryjune.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, this made me love small towns even more. I love how peaceful they are. And your thanksgiving sounds really fun. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having great in laws is the biggest blessing! Your Thanksgiving looked magical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your Thanksgiving looks beautiful! (Um, that pie!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay, i love you. and i love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Thanksgiving sounds like a dream!! Also, I just ate breakfast but looking at those food pics made me hungry all over again. Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete