April 6, 2015

easter weekend for the win.









the words heard 'round facebook yesterday: "this weekend was so good." but really, wasn't it?! last week was a little on the rough side for me - a sickness that i just couldn't seem to shake (does anyone else get legit angry with their body when it is sick? it's completely irrational but i cannot ignore this urge to yell at my torso, hey! i take good care of you, what is the problem??) and a few unexpected stressors had me shouting for joy when friday rolled around. (i shouted from my confines of my sick-bed, but still.) 

saturday, we lounged and cooked and watched conference and played games and read books and i stayed up late in a sleepy, quiet house talking to my mother in law. can we talk about her for a second? honestly, the transition into their family was initially a little rough - jordan is her golden child, the jewel in her crown. and i took him away - tale as old as time. but when the dust settled, i have found myself a fabulous BFF in her. she is everything i want to be - as a mother, as a friend, as a human. she serves everyone around her, she is committed to the gospel, she is compassionate and fiercely independent. she does not take crap from anyone and she get work done. she has so many friends and is loved by so many people. although it took me some time to realize it, i have come to be so grateful for such a perfect role model. anyway.

sunday was easter brunch, and quite possibly the best meal of the year for the stastny's. (pastries! muffins! and ham! oh my!) after napping off breakfast, we played games in the front yard, blew bubbles, and hunted for our eggs and baskets. i really hope my mother in law keeps hiding easter baskets for me forever, even after i have my own kids. ha! (also, all of the games jordan's cousins like to play involve being hit with a soccer ball, hard. but i love it.) then we headed to the second session of conference in downtown slc.

i know this sentiment has been repeated so many times, but MAN ALIVE i am grateful for my prophet and leaders! i am grateful for the chance to listen to them speak until my cup was running over. i am grateful for my membership in this church and for my eternal marriage - they are everything to me. what an incredible experience to be inspired by the speakers - inspired to better and try harder. and also, for the reminder that i am loved, and i am enough. it's difficult for me to really put this all into comprehensible sentences, but just...all of the good feelings, mixed with solid family and a husband whom i love so much i want to scream, mixed with the sunshine and peace. it was euphoric, in the calmest way. this weekend, it really was a high point in life so far. and now this dreary monday doesn't seem so bad. :)

5 comments:

  1. I. Love. All of this. And I feel the same way about it being an amazing weekend. Like conference and Easter weekends are usually good, but this one was just especially good and I can't quite figure out why, but I loved it :) I also love what you said about your mother-in-law. Isn't it awesome having a great MIL?! Seriously so grateful for that. Glad you got a good one, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute that you had some bonding time with your mother-in-law! glad you had a good weekend :) will you be at the be wise shoot this saturday?? :)

    xo, k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll be there - are you coming?? say yes!

      Delete
  3. Seriously - that little path and white gate with the blossoms hanging over head - is that from a dream world? ha! It just looks so perfect! Anyways, family is so important and I love the way you talked about your MIL. Sometimes my husband gets annoyed with my dad and I wish they'd get along better, so i'm sure your husband is happier when the two most important women in his life are getting along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh trust me it took a looong time for us to get to this point - but i know it does make my husband happy. i still think it's important that you are on your spouses side always, though! anyway - isn't that little path dreamy?? the older parts of salt lake are magic.

      Delete