because i have great news and i'm feeling super lucky.

last fall, we found out jordan would be doing his summer internship in san fran - instead of new york like we had planned. it just kind of happened that way - he got a summer position with citi group before he really even interviewed for a lot of positions in new york, investment banks give exploding offers (in which you have 24-48 hours to make a decision or the offer becomes invalid) and it just would have been stupid to turn it down, for lack of a better term.

i thought about pursuing internships in new york, and actually, for a few months i did - but one day jordan sat me down and asked me, plain and simple, if i would move to san fran with him. i felt a lot of clarity in that moment, that going to california with him should superseded anything that would benefit my career. that being a support to him should be my priority. i said yes (which, if you know me, was a hard pill to swallow) and have never really looked back. 

i reached out to everyone i knew in broadcasting and asked them for contacts in san fran. i got a few hook ups, and one night in march, i came out of a spin class to a voicemail from abc7. i was recommended from an old new director! they loved my resume! abc7 is the top ranked news station in san fran! i would be getting newsroom experience! i totally clicked with the executive producer! ah. i was on cloud 9 for like, weeks after the fact. this internship was was reward for choosing to be a supportive wife over new york, or so i thought. i already imagined getting the call telling me i had the job, and how i would break the exciting news to my family. (at this point in the story i like to retroactively tell myself, "not so fast, kayla clark.")

i made contact a few weeks later, and then..... radio silence. for two weeks. then two more weeks. then three more weeks. i reached out by email, but again. silence. guys, "i was crushed" is the biggest understatement. i was wrecked. this was it - the job i wanted, and they seemed to want me? but then they couldn't even call me and tell me that i didn't get it? i was totally qualified and recommended, did i do something wrong? i started scrambling for something else, anything else available to me. i interviewed at a few other news stations, and continued to play the waiting game. at this point, it was april and most positions had been filled. i started to regret dropping all of my nyc dreams. i started to question if i was pursuing a dream that was going to end up being dead for me. i was under the impression that everything had clicked into place for me, and then i watched it all be snatched away.

i spent a lot of time on my knees, at the temple, and having bona-fide meltdowns to friends who were willing to listen. i tried to make sense of it - was there something else i was supposed to do this summer? was i barking up the wrong tree? this is a serious LOL moment now, but i wondered if i was going to accidentally get pregnant this summer and that was the reason i couldn't take on a hefty internship. my dad is ill right now, and so i wondered if i was supposed to focus on him and that's why i wasn't getting an internship? maybe i was just supposed to get a good paying job instead to save up money for some unforeseen expense? my mind grasped to make any sense out of my situation. it was a rough couple of weeks, and although i tried to cope with my changing plans, there were a lot of "cry myself tired" nights. poor jordan was beside himself trying to make me feel better.

in the midst of my freak-outs, i kept thinking of a story that tina fey tells in her book "bossypants." (i have listened to/read this book 4 times and it is the greatest. read it immediately.) she remembers her mom babysitting two little greek kids while their parents were at a wedding. they had never been separated from their parents before, so these kids just lost it. at one point, the little boy, who was about 3 years old, started shouting in greek to his sobbing sister. roughly translated, he was yelling, "sister, what is to become of us??" and tiny fey's mom just started cracking up at this kid, pacing in circles, freaking out, when his parents were going to come pick him up in like an hour and everything was just fine. tiny fey talks about how when you freak out, that's how you look to other people. kind of ridiculous, because everything is going to be just fine. i imagine that god gets at least a sliver of humor from watching me sweat it out, very dramatically, down here on earth when my plan starts to get shaken up. anyway.

then last week, after almost 2 months of no contact, i got an email from abc's executive producer. they had been re-vamping their internship program so they were re-organizing everything, they were still interested, and could i possibly be available for a may 27th start date? man i was jolted. i wandered around campus with a wide eyed stare for about ten minutes until the news started to sink in. i tried not to get my hopes up, but it wasn't entirely effective. 

long story short, I GOT THE INTERNSHIP! while camping, we came into st george for gas, got service, and ping! my little voicemail dot showed up. it was the executive producer telling me that she had "very exciting news for me." i screamed and punched jordan a few times while our friends congratulated me over and over. it was quite the morning.

i hashed out a few details with the station when we returned from southern utah, and what?? the internship is paid, and paid a lot? i get to be on camera sometimes? no coffee runs? my office is literally 500 feet from jordan's? flexible hours? THIS IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. i had a lot of friends say, "i knew this would happen, i'm not surprised at all." well, I WAS SURPRISED! and i'm so glad that i thought i wasn't going to get the position, because it made getting it 10X BETTER. i still can't even believe it. i landed my dream internship. in san francisco. i'm going to live there, and walk to work with my husband. WUT IS THIS LIFE?!! i 100% believe that i don't deserve for everything to have worked out as perfectly as it did, but i'm going to relish it anyway. i lucked out BIG TIME. i am still pinching myself and randomly shouting to jordan throughout the day, "i can't believe i got abc! is this real life??"

although i am still coming around on this aspect, i am feeling more and more grateful for those months of feeling so lost. i feel like i am learning how to accept things not going your way, to accept that maybe god has a different plan for your life than you wanted. and that's okay. i am learning that i need to turn to Him more, for everything. i am learning to root less of my persona and confidence in my career dreams, and root more of it in just being a good human and rolling with the punches. i am learning to be vulnerable to those around me and share my fears. and i am learning that it's all gonna work out anyway. ;)

and a completely unrelated photo because every post should have at least one picture. 

Comments

  1. That is all so SO amazing!!! Congratulations and good luck with it! Sounds like the greatest adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am SO excited for you! i hope you two have the summer of your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! and Congrats!! I'm so glad to hear that everything worked out for you! Something similar happened to us when we were buying our house. Long story short.. we thought at the last minute we might not get our house after thinking that it was pretty much ours. So I can totally relate to the feelings you had about having one of your dreams slip through your fingers. And it was during that time that I realized maybe it was Heavenly Father's way of showing me exactly how much I really wanted this blessing in my life, so that later when the "magic" of it all faded and things about our home started to seem not-so-wonderful, I would always be able to look back and remember the time that I thought we had lost it all. And remember that this is what I really wanted, and that I am actually really happy to be where we are. :) I think that it will help you to remember this time when things get hard in San Fran. Because now you KNOW its where you are meant to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!! this is amazing! i'm so excited for you & jordan, this summer is going to be amazing for you two. i totally would have been freaking out like you were, & i am the exact same where i start to assume things happen for specific reasons, that really don't have to do with them at all (does that make sense?! like how you thought you didn't get the internship cause you MIGHT get pregnant? that made me lol). things do always work out how they are supposed to, but it's definitely rough to think that in the heat of the moment! but ya! s.f. will be SOOOO fun, i really love it there & austin is always telling me we should move there. maybe one day :) i can't wait to see how the summer goes for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAHOOOO!!!! Congratulations Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! That is so great! Soaking in all that happiness from you just made me happier :) (not that I wasn't happy, but I'm just saying your happy-ness rubbed off on me :) So excited for you and all your fun adventures to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredible! I'm so excited for you, I just feel so much happier reading this. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for you! This is amazing and you are just amazing! You are going to kill it out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog from Kelly (good to be a Gilbert - aka one of the cutest gals alive!) and love yours!!!!! This post was everything. I'm struggling a lot in understanding Gods plan for my life in this next year but I'm trying REALLY hard to trust in Him! Girl, congrats on ABC! That's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! Sounds absolutely perfect. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SO awesome! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. KAYLA OH MY GOSH!! I AM SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! i saw the news the other day and never got a chance to really tell you congrats! seriously how perfect and meant to be IS THIS!???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment